What The Heck Is Post-Partum Compression And Why Would I Want to Do It? January 24, 2015 22:36
Anyone who has had a baby knows that when you leave the hospital after having a baby you will still look approximately 8 months pregnant. If you aren't prepared for this reality - well now you know...and you are welcome.
Postpartum wraps have been known to help reduce the swelling of the uterus, decrease bloating caused by water retention, support your legs & back and provide additional comfort and support for feeding your baby.
3 Great Reasons to Use a Post-Partum Compression Belt #GetYourBodyBack
1. Reduce Swelling:
Much of your lingering belly will be due to fluids and swelling. For this reason, women throughout history have used binding to regain their pre-pregnancy shape. You will literally look and feel slimmer by simply using the belt to reduce the swelling.
2. Eliminate Back Pain:
In addition to reducing swelling, a post-partum belly wrap will provide support - just as weight lifters and employees at Home Depot wear a wide belt for extra back support - your post-partum compression belt will reduce back pain and help support your core as your regain your strength in the weeks following delivery. Remember that your stomach muscles have been severely stretched during pregnancy and in the case of a c-section the stomach muscles have been cut...it can be painful to even sit up straight and move about without a post-pregnancy support belt.
3. Shrink Your Rib Cage & Hips:
Every pregnant woman has heard about the hormone known as Relaxin. In short this wonderful hormone is responsible for physically relaxing your body allowing your ribs and hips (among other things) to expand to accommodate the little person growing inside. This hormone is still present for approximately 6 weeks after delivery (also known as the 4th trimester). That means that we have a good chance to bring back in our rib cage and hips using the gentle and sustained compression provided by a post-partum belt.
Not convinced? Here is a nice list of reasons this will be the best money spent for your post-pregnancy self:
- Helps shrink the belly, waist and hips
- Adds support to the upper body while breastfeeding
- Comforts the mid-section after a C-section
- Helps the body lose inches faster
- Helps minimize stretch marks
- Adds support to the back and legs
- Accelerates the healing process
- Streamlines the silhouette to look slimmer in clothing
- Boosts self confidence
- Aids in decreased bloating and swelling
- Reminds you to utilize your core muscles
- Helps to gently persuade muscles back together
How to Use a Post-Pregnancy Compression Belt
In the past, women have wrapped a sheet tightly around their abdomen and kept it on for 40 days following birth. Fast forward to today and thankfully women have another option! At Luna we love the Belly Bandit for a few reasons. The price is higher than some other compression belts - but the quality of compression is much better. This means your belt will not stretch out and stop working after a week.
The Belly Bandit also comes with a very strong and wide velcro panel, meaning it will hold you in and shrink with you - but it also means you can take it off for showers etc...a serious improvement over sheets! Some customers ask why a Belly Bandit is better than a corset. Simply because a corset has very few settings and cannot offer the compression power of the Belly Bandit. A corset or some other type of shaper is perfect for after the initial compression period of 6 weeks.
A Belly Bandit is super easy to use and is doctor approved. (To be sure of your individual case, please ask your doctor). There are a few ways to make sure you get the most out of your post-baby compression.
Tips For Maximum Results
1. Wear your Belly Bandit as soon as you get home from the hospital. We therefore recommend buying your Belly Bandit before delivery because after having a baby the last thing you will want to do is go shopping. Well...at least for a while!
2. Wear it all the time. Yes ladies - all the time. Take it off for showers obviously but other than that it should be worn 24/7. And don't worry - because of the support and comfort it provides (not to mention the slimming) you will want to wear it all the time.
3. Wear it tight! Sometimes customers come in with their belt loosely on and they tell me they don't think it is working...IT HAS TO BE TIGHT! Still able to breathe but tight non-the-less. It will be worth it.
Choosing the Perfect Post-Partum Belt To Suit Your Needs
After using the belts personally and based on the feedback of many customers we have identified the top two options:
B.F.F. (Body Formulated Fit): Perfect for petite women, short-waisted women and curvy women. There are two panels that hug your curves in comfort while offering 2 more inches of Velcro. This design creates the ability for a woman to have the compression conform to her natural silhouette.
Bamboo: Super soft and about an inch taller. This is the belt we recommend for tall or long-waisted women and anyone who has had a c-section. You can still close it on a diagonal to get the perfect fit. Wearing the Belly Bandit™ after a c-section may help to decrease post-op recovery time by minimizing associated incision pain, which allows greater mobility post-surgery.
Word to the Wise
You may end up going through two sizes. I initially balked at the idea of spending on a second belt - but when you are slimming down so fast - you will be glad to buy a second belt. Let's face it, I would have spent thousands of dollars to get my old body back - less than $200 seemed like a deal. When I was at home and feeling super keen, I wore both belts, with the bigger belt on my hip area to take advantage of the relaxin I had still floating around.
Choosing The Right Size
Here are some tips to help you find the right size:
* In the eighth month many women will be the same size as they will be post delivery. Simply measure the circumference of your waist starting at your belly button. Choose the corresponding band for your size.
* Just prior to delivery simply subtract 3 to 5 inches from your waist measurement. Select the corresponding band for that size.
* If you purchase it after you give birth, simply choose the corresponding band for your waist size.
Band Size: EXTRA SMALL Fits Current Waist Size: 28” - 32”
Band Size: SMALL Fits Current Waist Size: 33” - 37”
Band Size: MEDIUM Fits Current Waist Size: 38” - 43”
Band Size:LARGE Fits Current Waist Size: 44” - 49”
Band Size:EXTRA LARGE Fits Current Waist Size: 50” - 57”